PGCB #101 - Mixed Media

Hello!

I'm so happy to get to play along with the Paper Girls this week. Amber really stretched me out of my typical crafting comfort zone and encouraged us to use multiple mixed media elements in our projects. Here is what I came up with:

This one layer card has many layers of ink, paint, embossing powder, and shimmer mists - and I think I'm in love with the end result! I tend to lean towards simple backgrounds - solid colors, maybe a watercolor effect or an embossed look, but never so many elements. The texture of the paint on top of the water colors and all the shimmer is just beautiful.

I started by inking an acrylic block with three of my dye inks (CTMH Twilight, Smokey Plum, and Olive) and then misted my watercolor paper and block with water, then smooshed my block onto my wet paper. After drying it thoroughly, I applied acrylic shimmer paint that I mixed with some drops of concentrated refill ink (both from CTMH, the ink was Olive) using a Heidi Swapp heart stencil. I heat dried the paint and when I did, it bubbled around the edges giving a lovely metallic looking shimmery texture. Then I took a few stamps from my collection (Text and Life - Papertrey Ink and a Diamond grid - CTMH) and randomly stamped around the painted heart. I wanted the sentiment (coordinating stamp from Heidi Swapp's Heart stencil) to stand out, so I heat embossed it with black confetti embossing power. After everything was dry - I felt it was missing something, so I spritzed the card all over with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Creme de Cocoa. The mist softened the stamped images, since it was also on watercolor paper, and gave the card a lovely warm and shimmery sparkle. I roughed up the edges with the edge of my scissors and then ran a bit of black ink around the edges to give it a boarder. I will certainly be playing more and more with paints, stencils, and my mists.

I hope that you'll give this really fun challenge a try and link up your projects on the Paper Girls Challenge blog by 11:55pm (MST) on Saturday, 4/16.

Thanks for stopping by!
Brittany

Comments